You already know you should be drinking more water. It is good for your skin, your metabolism and your digestive system. It also helps satiate hunger, so it is great for weight loss. Even knowing the benefits, a diet coke or a glass of wine is just so much more appealing. I have to employ little tricks to force myself to hydrate — pathetic, but true.
1. Set goals and actually count. If you want to drink 8 glasses of water, put 8 pennies in one pocket and move them to the other as you go. This will help you pace your drinking as opposed to trying to squeeze all 8 glasses in right before bedtime — a bad idea if you want to get some sleep.
2. Drink a glass of water before your morning caffeine.
3. Make fruit water. A pitcher of water flavored with oranges, strawberries or cucumber feels more like a treat than a chore.
4. Drink out of a wine glass. I don’t want to explore the psychology of why this works for me. It just does. Try it.
5. Keep a water bottle with you when you are on the go. An added benefit is it makes everyone think you just came from the gym. Perception is everything.