1. Old School – for a good laugh. It is just SO good when it hits your lips.
2. Schindler’s List – for some real perspective. Sometimes being reminded that the world can be unspeakably cruel and unfair is like a good slap in the face when I am hysterical over the little things. Nothing can make me get a grip on reality like the little red coat.
3. It’s a Wonderful Life – for reinforcing life’s priorities — family, faith, character and angels getting their wings.
4. Shawshank Redemption – for a lesson in hope. I don’t know the exact quote but he climbed through a river of sh#$t and came out clean on the other side. How many of us can say that?
5. Pretty Woman or Rudy – for a good old-fashioned, beat the odds, success story. Depending on your sex or preference (or your sexual preference) one of these has to give you a little lift. It is slightly embarrassing that “prostitute gets the guy” makes me feel good but I cannot change the channel until Richard Gere makes that corny climb up her fire escape. It is also somewhat pathetic that I get chills when Sean Astin gets carried off the field. He only made one sack after all and I don’t think he’s been in any other movies, but what can I say? Who am I to argue with something that brightens my day? The sun is going down early this month.